The Friends of Czech Heritage: keeping you informed about our activities
You can click on the envelope icon on the right of the black bar beneath this text to subscribe to our activities listing.
For events and news from other organisations please click here, where we feature a broad range of Czech-related items on Facebook, regularly updated.
Visit to Tilbury and Bata Heritage, 22/06/22
The Bata Shoe company, one of Czechoslovakia’s most successful companies, founded a satellite factory and a garden city at East Tilbury beside the Thames, modelled on the Modernist parent-city of Zlín and designed by Czech architects František Lydie Gahura and Vladimír Karfík.
The tour is a complement to the event on Tuesday 17th May 2022 by Sir John Tusa, whose father was the managing director of Bata Tilbury from 1939 to 1969. Sir John's talk 'My Life with Bata' takes place in the Czech Embassy, details here.
Meet at around 08:45am at Fenchurch Street train station. Catch (at own expense) the 09:08 train to East Tilbury, arrival 09:56. Walk to East Tilbury Library, around 10 mins.
- Meeting with Mike Tarbard and the BATA Heritage Team.
- Tea/coffee in the Library.
- Short film on East Tilbury followed by a talk about East Tilbury and Zlin.
- Opportunity to view artefacts on display.
- Guided tour of the site.
- Lunch (at own expense) either in George's Fish Bar on site or The Ship pub (please indicate preference).
- Visit to the Coal House Fort.
- Trip ends at around 4:30pm.
Our thanks to the Bata Heritage Centre, which highlights the industrial and archi-tectural heritage of the site, and the social history of those who lived and worked there.
Images: statue © Mark Surry Creative Commons; factory image CC-BY-SA-2.0.