A grant towards the adaptation of the Hussite Church in Prague Smíchov
July 2016 - A grant towards the adaptation of the Hussite Church in Prague Smíchov
The Czechoslovak Hussite Church as an institution was founded on 25th July 1920 and gave Prague several significant and interesting buildings, mostly in the Modernist architectural style. Amongst these is the property of the Jan Hus Congregation in Smíchov, whose outstanding tower alters the perspective of the busy street called ,U Santošky'.
The building dates from 1935, having been designed by the architects E. Sobotka and S. Vachta in 1933. Construction was carried out in ten months by the firm of Václav Nekvasil from Karlín. The predominant material used for the building was concrete.
Although not ‘listed’ it is a fine example of its type with a spectacular worship space with contemporary furniture and stained glass, and stands in a commanding position overlooking the neighbourhood. Sadly, the congregation has declined and the worship space is no longer used. In order to make it sustainable a scheme has been developed to turn a part of the worship space into an exhibition to celebrate the association of the Czechs and Italians who were together caught up in the First World War, an association still very much alive today.
We have offered a grant towards the conservation of the worship space, which has allowed the church community to obtain further funding from other sources.